My friend retrieved my handbag from the front seat of my car the other day.
“What do you have in here?” She asked me, as she struggled to lift it.
I always have carried a large handbag. Which is quite comical as I’m teeny tiny, so it almost looks as if I’m carting around a piece of luggage.
However I like to carry essentials with me. And I don’t mean any old essentials like lip gloss or car keys etc. Stuff you actually need.
My friend was humbled the other night as we sat eating dinner in a restaurant when she realised she had lost the back of her earring.
“I might have one” I told her.
“No…” She replied in disbelief.
After rummaging through my purse, sure enough, I found an earring back for her. I have all sorts of stuff in my handbag. It may be because I’m old, and I know what to expect, however here is a list of the shit any woman should carry in her bag:
1. Tampons – do you know how many times I’ve been asked for a tampon? Unless you’re menopausal, you’re gonna need these every month…
2. Lip gloss
3. Tissues – good for blotting excess oil from your face; in case you cry; in case you get a runny nose, or worse still, a nose bleed. Oh, and in case you go to a public restroom and there’s no toilet paper
4. Band aids – hello? Blisters?
5. Phone charger – you never know when you’ll need it
6. Needle and thread – clothes tear all the time. And buttons fall off too
7. Earring backs – you just never know when these will come in handy
8. Umbrella (there are small ones you can buy)
9. Bobby pins and hair elastics – again, I’ve been asked for these on numerous occasions
11. Rescue Remedy – for anxiety. We all get nervous you know. Just remember to spray it UNDER your tongue
12. Snacks – ok, this isn’t mandatory, however if you read my “top ten fears” article, you will know I have an irrational fear of starving to death
13. Bottled water – just in case
14. Hand sanitizer – you never know when there will be nowhere to wash your hands
So do yourself a favour and buy a bigger handbag to cart all of these things around.
You’ll thank me later.